Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2019

8 Questions with Michelle Tumolo


Today we share with you my interview with the awesome Michelle Tumolo.  Michelle is the new head coach of Wagner College and is a former All-American Attacker from Syracuse University who also happens to play for Team USA and is a professional women's lacrosse player too! Can you say overachiever!! 

Michele was also an assistant coach at Syracuse, Oregon and Florida.  She left a lasting impression on all of the players she interacted with.  I have known Michelle for a long time and I was always a fan of how she played the game - she played ALL OUT.  She gave it everything she had and she loved to win. 

One quick story of the type of athlete that she is was when I was meeting her at the University of Florida on a recruiting trip.  As we were doing a tour of the facilities we came upon the Florida Gators wide receivers getting some football work in with the Juggs Machine

Thats a jugg's machine on the right and it is used to fire balls at really high velocity.  As soon as Michelle saw them catching balls she said let me try that.  She jumped in front of the machine just as one of the receivers yelled - "you are too close watch out."  The machine fired a ball at around 70 mph right at Michelle's head.  Without flinching she snagged the ball cleanly out of the air without as much as a bobble.  She then fired a perfect spiral to one of the other receivers about 30 yards away.  That's the athlete that Michelle is. 

I always liked watching her play and now I was obsessed with this awesome athlete in front of me.  As I have gotten to know Michelle over the years, I can tell you that she is an even better person than she is an athlete. 

Thanks so much Michelle and good luck to you and the Wagner Seahawks as you continue to take those around you to new levels.  That's what great Players/People do - they make those around them better and that's what Michelle does every day!


1. What helped make you into the great player you became?
A lot of practice in my backyard and great coaches helped make me into who I am. I picked up a stick at 14, so I had a ton of catching up to do. I knew I had to work extra hard to get to where I wanted to be but truly, I never would have thought it would be this far. When you fall in love with a sport (like I did with lacrosse), putting in the extra reps to get better wasn't always "easy", but you do it because you love it and you want to be the best version of you. 

2. What advice would you give your 14 year old self today?
Like I said above, I picked up the stick at 14. This was such a special year for me! If I could go back and give myself advice, it would be to not be such a nervous wreck about the whole process. Little did I know it was all going to work out better than I ever would have imagined with going to Syracuse, but my nerves really took over. I would tell myself to relax, enjoy being a HS kid and just work my butt off at everything I do. I definitely worked hard to get to where I was, but to do it with not so much anxiety and worry. I'm thankful for my journey though :)


3. What is your definition of a great player?
There's so many types of great players. In my eyes, it's someone that knows how to step up in big moments. Someone who is coachable, who works hard on and off the field and when no one is looking. Someone who is able to learn from their mistakes. A great player is someone that makes their teammates better in practice and in games. Someone who rises to the task at hand. Great players make good players great. 

4. If you could make one change in the game today what would it be?
I have 2! First - Go to 6 v 6 in college and second, being able to go through the crease after you release the ball.

5. If you had one thing you wish you had done differently in your career what would it be?
I wish I took better care of my body. I was the kind of player that didn't really stretch or go out of my way to do treatment for the little things. I believe that could have been the reason I tore my ACL in my senior season. I've learned a lot since then. Always listen to your body and take care of it.


6. Is there one moment where you had to overcome some real adversity and if so how did you do it?
Tearing my ACL my senior season not long after being cut from the 2013 World Cup roster. I didn't let that define me. It motivated me to come back stronger and to work hard to gain a spot on that next roster. I am thankful that I had another opportunity to play for Team USA.

7. Where can we stay in touch with you most on social media?
Instagram or twitter! Mtumolo35

8. Favorite scene/quote from a sports movie is and why!?
In Remember the Titans when Julius and Gerry say LEFT SIDE, STRONG SIDE. Alyssa Murray and I used to say this to each other because of us being lefties!! She was an incredible teammate and player who always caught everything I threw at her! 


Bonus Question: Who should we interview next and what should we ask her?

I think you should interview Marie McCool! Ask her what her favorite memory of the World cup or world games was!

Marie McCool you are on the clock!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment